Tuesday 31 May 2011

Barely lamented


I had the immense pleasure of catching the bus to work the other morning. Whilst squashed between the window and the wide spread newspaper of the commuter next to me, a young gentlemen situated one row back on his way to school, decided to include me and the the middle third of the bus in his phone conservation by speaking in a tone only a few decibels short of a public address system. Although flattered that I should be included in said conversation I, with the help of my own copy of the Metro adopted the standard issue London block-it-out stare and got on with the journey. That was until I heard the youth say "yeah blood I had bare skills brov." Now this is completely out of context but I wondered in which context you could use such a phrase.

So does this boy have certain skills that he can only use once bare, invisibility for instance. A very useful skill but not one you hear people shout about too often. From recollection the documented (fictional) characters were all unfortunate victims of failed drug trials, chemical spills or some gifted scientist's plan gone wrong. Unless this kid is in the habit of hanging around with such scientists it seems unlikely to be the solution. Could it be those (wink of an eye) kind of bare skills. The kind that cause women to fall to their knees and become putty in your hand. If so where can I get some of those because at a far grander age it is this holy grail I am still searching for myself, let alone rewinding 15 years previous to the awkward fumblings of youth. Could it be bear skills. Bears have skills but there is a desperate lack of caves for hibernation in the local boroughs mostly as a direct result of government cut backs. Salmon migrating up the Thames are also few and far between so the skills a bear possesses are actually of little use in the urban environment and probably not the kind of thing you mention over the phone.

As folly as this is Bare turns out to be a catch all term and loosely means a lot of or excessively. It would seem things have changed since back in the day and calls in to question my decision to turn my back on the word of the street and adopt the commonly understood sentence structure and dictionary definitions to my vocab. Age catches up on you eventually and every so often old father time gives your heels a bit of a nip, here is one of those nips. I just lament those heady days when pocket money flowed freely, my day was 9 till 3 with a couple of play times in between and the world of slang sense.

Bad meant good and it was good to be bad except when it meant bad then it was bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment