Monday 21 March 2011

The noise in a nutshell



In the last couple of months I have noticed a small noise in the back of my head, I have started talking to myself. I say talking but it's really more of a monologue of consciousness that whirls around looking for a way out, nothing is actually vocal I am not that nuts but I am sure that if I typed this in to Google I could self diagnose any number of mental ailments but here lays the problem. This may be a worrying development but either I am not far enough along the line or I am a border line case because for the fear of being carried off by the men in white coats I am not about to ask anyone else if they do this too.

It is hard to say when exactly it started but I think being self employed has a lot to do with it. Other than phone calls it can be three days without having anything more than a cursory few words to strangers. I find it a funny feeling when this happens, almost as if my powers of conversation are slipping away and I am reverting back to a more neanderthal like being. It has often amazed me how far a grunt will get you, I notice it in the newsagent, on the bus, at the supermarket, in fact out of the workplace there are not many everyday situations left where proper powers of language are a necessity. At first I thought this was simply rude behavior from people with lives to busy to tear themselves away from that "Oh no she di'nt" phone conversation or that tinny sounding ipod for long enough to string a thank you together but maybe it's not, maybe I am not the only one feeling this ape like regression, prehaps we are slowly slipping in to a little capital of the apes if you will.

I kind of like the voice, he sounds like the kind of guy I would like to have a beer with. It is not like when you hear yourself on the answer phone it's the way you think you sound and it's a good job too, it's like a narration going on as if I am in a film thats just starting, the credits have just finished and the story is being set only on a far more mundane, everyday and far less epic sort of way. It happened yesterday on the way back from town, from nowhere a debate started up questioning the the merits of fish vs pasta, it was a rounded argument covering both sides, that may sound trivial but is was not we were talking dinner.

You might be thinking well everyone has these thoughts but here is where we started, how do you know and who do you ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment